The Marketing & Communications Coordinator is purpose-driven and passionate about telling Fairtrade’s story. They are an enthusiastic professional who is organized, a great communicator, quick learner and a self-starter. The role is responsible for supporting our clients in spreading the word about their Fairtrade commitments, engaging businesses with meaningful messages and supporting our campaigns throughout the year. With this great diversity of projects and workstreams, the Marketing and Communications Coordinator thrives on variety and loves collaborating within and across teams.
Reports To: Director of Marketing and External Relations
Duties & Responsibilities:
Contribute to Business to Business (B2B) communications -- approximately 50% of your time
- Working with the Client Support Manager, write or design content for our current clients to spread the word about Fairtrade to their audiences (mainly shoppers) - one of the best channels through which we raise awareness about Fairtrade.
- Creating written or visual content for our Business Development team to use in pitches to prospective businesses. Update our existing collateral with our new visual identity being launched this year.
- Contribute ideas, research, written and visual content as well as logistical support to the development of a portal on our new website that creates a one stop shop for our clients, celebrating their impact and giving them the tools they need to tell their story.
- Spread the word about Fairtrade among key audiences by applying to and managing speaking engagements, which profile key figures in our system such as farmers, our leadership team, or our commodity experts.
- Support key relationships with partners such as other certifiers and organizations that further our cause.
Events & campaigns -- approximately 30% of your time
- In collaboration with the Marketing & External Relations Team and outside communications consultants, lead on the logistics of our consumer campaigns. Creatively engage clients and other organizations to broaden their reach.
- Organize events for both business and consumer audiences as needed.
Other duties -- approximately 20% of your time
- Support team initiatives, cross-team collaborations and other activities that help our organization grow.
- Manage resources to get us the most return on investment, report quarterly on your goals and contribute to our annual planning.
- Contribute to data integrity - update databases and shared systems with your progress.
- Connect with international colleagues in our global Fairtrade network in areas that complement your work and deepen your knowledge.
- Design simple graphics in house as well as work with external designers.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
If you were here right now, you might be working on projects like the following:
- Supporting the planning and kickoff of our 2021 national and international campaigns, such as those focusing on cocoa, climate change and social justice.
- Creating content for our new website and working with the team to design a useful and relevant client portal.
- Contributing to our four-year strategic planning process.
- Helping our clients launch their new Fairtrade products.
- A minimum of 7 years’ relevant experience, or a bachelor's degree plus a minimum of 3 years' relevant experience.
- Ability to engage and communicate with intended audiences via different channels.
- Demonstrated logistics management and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing, copy-editing, presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize competing tasks.
- Flexible, collaborative, creative teammate willing to step into whatever is required to get the job done.
- Basic familiarity with Microsoft Office and SharePoint, database (CRM) and communication software like Salesforce and Pardot, website (CMS) software like Wordpress, design software like Canva and Adobe Creative Suite, and project management software like Trello.
- Commitment to Fairtrade and social justice issues.
- Personal or professional international experience (such as working on global or internationally focused projects or living in countries outside of the US) preferred.
- Willingness to travel up to 10% if needed. Note: Fairtrade America has currently suspended all travel.
What We Offer:
Fairtrade America offers a dynamic and engaging work environment, a competitive salary and benefits program, including:
- Generous time off, including vacation, personal leave, paid volunteer time, 12 paid holidays, and employees receive full pay when the office is closed during the last week of the year.
- Comprehensive health care for you and your family through medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- For emergencies and financial security, life, long and short-term disability, and accidental death and dismemberment insurance, plus an employee assistance program.
- 401k plan with employer matched contributions to help you save for retirement.
- Flexible spending and transit reimbursement programs offering pre-tax savings for qualified health care, dependent care and transportation expenses.
- 100% paid parental leave for three months, plus additional flexible options for six months.
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available.*
- Wellness benefits, including access to an on-site fitness center* and reimbursement for wellness programs and activities such as gym memberships, yoga classes and more.
- Mission-driven, passionate, and welcoming colleagues who learn from each other and enjoy working together.
- Professional development program designed and funded to support your career goals.
*All staff are currently working full-time remotely. When all staff return to the office, these related benefits will be available.
How to Apply:
You may submit a salary expectations, resume and cover letter on our website. We regret we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about the position. Thank you for your interest.
Fairtrade America is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information, military service or veteran status, or any other status protected by law.